What to Do to Prepare & Plan for a House Fire? – Fire Damage Restoration
As far as destructive disasters go there are few things as devastating as a fire that damages your property and personal possessions. A fire in your residence is a frightening and an emotionally exhausting situation, whether it destroys everything or not. Nevertheless, there are specific measures you can implement to lessen the chances of a fire from occurring in your residence. The fire damage repair team from Paul Davis knows the severe situation of house fires and that’s why it’s important to know how to prepare your residence and what to do when a fire occurs.
Create and Practice a Fire Escape Strategy for Your Property
Not all house fires are preventable and there’s only so much you can do. That’s why the most crucial thing for you to do is have safety procedures ready. Smoke alarms and fire extinguishers are a must, and make sure you have the correct number to suit your residence. Nevertheless, you should consider using smoke alarms that can detect smoke from fires generated by electricity, because defective wiring can be a cause of house fires. If there are children in the house, you’ll want to train them on how the smoke alarm sounds and what to do when in the situation where one goes off.
Next, have your fire escape program ready. Everyone in the property needs to know two ways to escape from every room and where to meet outside when a fire occurs. Also, make sure that all members of the household know how to call 911 in the case of a house fire.
Another thing you need to do is secure your important things such as photographs, birth certificates and passports. You can make digital replicas and store them into a cloud drive as a backup, and you can buy a fire safe box to keep the hard copies secure as well. Lastly, make a record of all your personal belongings for insurance reasons in the event they’re engulfed by the flames.
Things to Be Mindful of to Lessen House Fire Dangers
While some fires aren’t avoidable, there are some things you can do to minimize the prospect of a fire from occurring in your residence:
- Cooking: Remain in the area at all times while you’re cooking and never leave it alone. If you have to leave the area, get someone to watch over the food until you come back.
- Appliances and Electrical: Make sure to do a routine check on your electrical appliances and make sure the plugs and cords are in good condition. Also, when switches for your lights are hot to the touch, then you need to replace them.
- Portable Heaters: Establish that your heater has a control mechanism and a thermostat, and it needs to turn off if it falls over.
- Fireplaces: It’s necessary to regularly clean and inspect your fireplace for damages and creosote. Get a screen for your fireplace that is sturdy and big enough to prevent rolling logs and catch sparks.
- Children: Kids are curious and fire is exciting for them, so instruct your children that fire isn’t a toy. Also, keep matches and lighters in a secure area that is out of sight and out of reach.
- Smoking: Smoking outside is the a great approach to avoid a house fire from taking place. It’s crucial to not smoke inside if someone in the home is using oxygen because it is highly combustible. If you smoke inside, don’t smoke while lethargic or in bed and have ashtrays with tall walls.
If You Need Fire Damage Repair Services – Get in Touch with Paul for Expert Assistance Today
Immediately call the professional fire damage repair team at Paul Davis if your house has had a fire. Our professional team can re-mediate any fire damage and get your residence back in good condition. For a Paul Davis franchise near you, give us a call at (609) 265-0001.