Fighting Black Mold
No homeowner wants black mold, but do you know what it is? Black mold (also known as Stachybotrys) likes to grow in wet areas and is most commonly seen in areas where condensation has collected or pools or stagnant water inside. Spores enter the house by doors, other entrances or brought in on personal items and clothing. While most fungus found in your house are harmless, this variety can cause health problems with long term exposure.
What are the Health Risks?
Black mold is a toxic species of fungus that releases airborne toxins. Symptoms include chronic sneezing, eye, nose and throat irritation as well as skin rashes. Other symptoms include chronic fatigue and persistent headaches. Especially serious cases of long-term contact to black mold can be more dangerous. Often compounded by allergic reaction to the black mold spores, these symptoms can include nausea, vomiting, and bleeding in the lungs and nose.
More about Mold
Black mold grows quickly, so you should never postpone calling a professional to inspect for mold growth. They can go unnoticed for weeks, and then appear practically overnight.
Once mold creates colonies in your property, it immediately grows and releases toxins that make life miserable for occupants:
- Mold emanates a pungent, mildewed scent that stops rooms from smelling fresh.
- Mold causes problems for allergy-sensitive people, as well as those with asthma, causing a physical reaction.
- Mold can cause coughing, wheezing, chest tightness, and difficulty breathing.
- Mold toxins can trigger chronic inflammation and continuous cold-like symptoms.
- People with compromised immune systems can get systemic infections of the lungs, skin, or digestive tract.
- In rare cases, mold toxins can cause neurological issues or even death.
- The more extended the exposure, the greater the danger.
Unusually damp homes and offices can be vulnerable to mold invasions even if no water damage has occurred. If you see or smell something that could be mold, get an expert opinion right away.
To get rid of mold, the atmosphere where it prospers must first be removed. Water sources have to be handled, and any remaining moisture must be thoroughly dried out. Only then can mold removal and remediation start.
Whether a leaky roof, burst pipe, or other entry point, it isn’t enough to close the tide. Moisture can saturate hidden areas of your home. Without proper cleanup procedures, mold will keep coming back to these spots.
If you think your house may contain black mold, call Paul Davis now. Our team inspects for presence of black mold before treatment. Depend on our specialists to eliminate black mold quickly. Don’t risk your health, call for an inspection for black mold now.